Monday, July 9, 2007

Heck Yeah Librarians are hip!

Yesterday the New York Times confirmed what I already knew....librarians are way cool. In an article (may require subscription to access) focusing on the new crop of librarians (in this case living in New York and Brooklyn) who are hip, creative, and pop culture-savvy, the changing scope of the profession is discussed. In a world that is embracing vast amounts of information available through technology, librarians are as relevant as ever...if we can just get people to see beyond the stereotypes.

As a fellow "modified librarian", I was particularly excited that the article discussed the draw for creative-types and activists who are drawn to the profession because of the strong sense of ethics around providing access to information to patrons. While I wish that I lived in Brooklyn and could join up with the Desk Set one night for drinks after work, I am extremely happy that even here in my smallish city I've been able to build a professional network that includes some other librarians that often receive the remark, "Wow, you don't look like a librarian!"

1 comment:

Beth B. said...

This was a great article, and I'm glad to see hip and interesting people drawn to the profession as well. I wish there was more publicity along the lines of that, rather than the tired stereotype that always seems to crop up.